This just in from GORUCK HQ! Here are some important changes to the GORUCK Heavy event, billed as “the ultimate team event.” Here’s a breif overview, followed by the full letter emailed by GORUCK HQ:
- Weight requirements have changed: under 150 lbs. carries minimum 25 lbs. dry in the ruck
- The formal PT Test has been replaced by a physical readiness test.
- You will not be performance dropped for failing the physical readiness test
Here’s the email from GORUCK:
Greetings from GORUCK Headquarters! I want to personally inform you as the Director of the GORUCK Heavy of some changes that will be taking place with the GORUCK Heavy. As the Director, I made some changes to the event to make sure that your GORUCK Heavy experience is top notch and that you feel a heightened sense of accomplishment. The following changes will be effective immediately for all future Heavies in 2015 and beyond:
- The weight in your ruck that you will be carrying for a minimum 24 hours is broken down into two weight classes. If you weigh less than 150 pounds, you will need to have a minimum of 25 pounds in your ruck. If you weigh over 150 pounds, you will need to have a minimum of 35 pounds in your ruck. The Cadre will weigh your ruck to ensure you are in compliance with the weight standard. The Cadre will weigh your ruck “dry” so that means any fluids that are in your ruck will be taken out and the Cadre will then weigh your ruck. I advise you to weigh your ruck with everything in it minus any water or other fluids prior to the event to make sure you are good to go.
- The first task that you will complete during the GORUCK Heavy is a physical readiness test. This test is designed so that the Cadre can assess and gauge your physical fitness level. The test will only be known to the Cadre prior to the event. At the start of the event the Cadre will brief your team all of the events of the physical readiness test to include the standard for passing each event and what happens when you fail an event. Failing an event however will not get you dropped from the GORUCK Heavy. I advise you to do your best at each event as you are a member of a team. Everybody on the team has different strengths and weaknesses and this test is part of the team building experience of the GORUCK Heavy.
The best advice that I can give to you is to train hard. Some key physical fitness gates that you should be able to accomplish prior to showing up to the event are to be able to ruck with weight in accordance with the above weight standards for 12 miles and have a finish time of less than three hours, be able to pass the Army Physical Fitness Test in your gender/age bracket with a minimum score of 250 and be mentally strong. If you can do all three of these, you will be more than successful at a GORUCK Heavy. If you have any questions at any time about the GORUCK Heavy, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. I would wish you good luck but I know you will complete this event and earn the GORUCK Heavy patch as luck favors the prepared. DFQ.
Director GORUCK Heavy
If you’d like to calculate your Army Physical Fitness Test score, you can do so here: APFT Calculator.
About GORUCK Heavy from the GORUCK website:
GORUCK HEAVY – 24+ HOURS, 40+ MILES, AVERAGE PASS RATE: 50%
The intent of the GORUCK Heavy is to build better Americans, 24 hours at a time. Through the GORUCK Heavy, participants learn a different side of themselves from lessons learned from the Cadre. These lessons learned are either from the different backgrounds each Cadre has in their respective military or civilian careers and sharing experiences from overseas conducting kinetic and non-kinetic operations. These lessons learned are then applied in a 24 or more hour class through different events in a practical setting through shared misery, pushing each participant past their perceived mental, physical, and psychological breaking points. The GORUCK Heavy is designed around six key objectives: 1) GR Heavy will be the ultimate team event. 2) Conduct leadership under very stressful conditions. 3) Theme is built around AMERICA and why we are the greatest country in the world. 4) This is a GORUCK Selection prep course. 5) Earn your “individual” patch. 6) Heighten each participant’s sense of accomplishment.